Monday, August 9, 2010

America's Religion

In my news updates this morning, I came across an interesting USA Today column that highlights the need for and value of religion in 21st century America. While I will always find intrigue in articles that wrestle with the big questions of life such as this article does, the conclusion is disconcerting.


"Yet as important as community, worship and service are, I am convinced that religion's greatest contribution to society is even greater. Religion makes us want to live."


Essentially, the gospel preached in the USA Today is this. "Truth matters not. Meaning, purpose, and quality of life reign supreme. It does not matter where you find that meaning or purpose, only that you find it. Call it Jesus, call it God, call it a higher power, call it spirituality. Call it what you wish, for it is not consequential what you find, only that you think you have found it."


Sound satisfying to you? Because the Bible tells us that our hearts are deceitful (Jer. 17:9), a statement we have empirically proven accurate over the millenia, I cannot trust that which simply makes me feel good, since it may very well be the wrong thing. Does my warm affection for something make it right, or prove it true? Does my child-like enjoyment of Christmas render the myth of Santa's late night visit a historical fact? No, no, no. What matters ultimately is not our feeling of purpose gathered from so-called religion. But, at the end of the day, the question we must answer is not, "Do I find purpose in this?" The question is "Is what I find purpose in true?" As for Christianity, Paul wrote clearly, "And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins...If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied (1 Cor. 15:17-19)." If Jesus isn't true, and if his bodily resurrection wasn't historically factual, you should pity my purpose, not celebrate it.


Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life..." He proved this statement by raising from the dead. His death took place in history on this planet, and his resurrected lips bid us to believe. Though his call, his redemption, and his presence in my life indeed brings me a sense of purpose, the purpose is not the ultimate reason why I believe. The truth is.



1 comment:

  1. I think it's okay if religion gives you purpose (well, it reveals the purpose that God gave, to love Him w/ all of who we are and love our neighbor, to know Him and make Him known). Christ is the giver of life, so of course knowing Him makes me "want to live." You raise a good point that we ought not just build our lives on something because it "feels right" or "seems right," but when you are indeed in relationship with Christ, your spirit will indeed bear witness w/ His Spirit of the truth. I guess seeking that feeling of satisfaction and purpose is so dangerous, when we need to seek Christ. There aren't substitutes for Him that could pass, but there are substitutes for the sensations of rightness and purpose, etc. Yet it is good for us Christians to let Christ affect our spirits, our hearts, and not lean entirely on the cerebral as well.

    All righty. Now you've got me thinking again!
    lv,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete