Saturday, January 28, 2012

Helpful Comments on "Radical"

David Platt's book Radical (much like Chan's Crazy Love) has seemingly spread like a wildfire through conservative Christian circles. And rightfully so. His urgent call to true discipleship, passionate evangelism, and compassionate missions is a necessary message to our often laid-back, comfortable churches. I was certainly blessed, convicted by his strong words.

However, something hasn't quite sat right with me as I've marinated on the book's message and what it means for a young married (American) guy, pursuing lay ministry in my local church while pursuing a career to provide for my family as well. I've felt that my "ordinary" life was almost condemned by his words. Can I be a career guy with a house and a dog (yellow lab, please), serving my local church and still be a Christian? (Note: I'm still not sure if this is because of Platt's words or my wrestling with them).

Enter in a very helpful review by Kevin DeYoung. DeYoung is careful to highlight the many strengths of Radical while humbly warning of its weaknesses and potential mis-applications. Even better, DeYoung seems to have "younger evangelicals" like myself in mind. He also allows Platt to respond to his criticisms, making this a very helpful and balanced article, one I highly encourage you to read if you've been impacted by the book; if you don't have the time to read the whole thing, I've pasted the most penetrating comment below:

"I don’t worry for David’s theology, but I worry that some young Christians reading his book might walk away wondering if a life spent working as a loan officer, tithing to their church, praying for their kids, learning to love Christ more, and serving in the Sunday school could possibly be pleasing to God. We need to find a way to attack the American dream while still allowing for differing vocations and that sort of ordinary Christian life that can plod along for fifty years. I imagine David wants this same thing. I’m just not sure this came through consistently in the book."

1 comment: