Tuesday, July 3, 2012

God's Notifications


If you're anything like me, you have a love/hate relationship with notifications. You know what I'm talking about. The red number in the corner of your Facebook page; the blinking LED light on your phone; the bold number in your email inbox. When I see these notifications, I have to click on them. I hate seeing unread emails or unchecked social media notifications, and I therefore compulsively check these things to make sure I receive all the notifications.


My (somewhat pathetic) eagerness in this area led me to question my heart recently. How eager am I to check the invitations, alerts, and notifications that God is giving me? When I see the blinking LED light indicating a new tweet or text message, I immediately check it. Yet, how often does God reach out to my heart through his Spirit or his Word with an alert, a notification, a conviction or message? And how often do I delay in responding to his message? Do I check God's communication with me as eagerly and passionately as I check my smartphone? Or do I ignore God and pay him little attention?


Read the verses below. They (along with the rest of Scripture) clearly show that God reaches out to us, to get our attention and call us into relationship with himself. Be honest with yourself. Like those who rejected God in the verses below, do we "resist the Holy Spirit" and pay God "no attention" because we are "not willing"? Or do we eagerly wait for God's alerts and notifications in our lives?


Acts 7:51“You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you."


Luke 13:34- "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!"


Matthew 22:4-6- "Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.”’ But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them."












1 comment:

  1. Oh, I long to pay eager attention to Him more and more. Yes, He's always drawing us to Himself, and how we (I) often resist and drown out His invitation with meaninglessness!

    ReplyDelete