Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Unchained Gospel

As of this morning, the teaching pastor and founder of our local church, Revive Church, has announced that he will be moving on to a new church in a new city. This is no small event for our congregation corporately, as 5+ years ago, he faithfully planted the church in his living room. His excellent, biblical teaching has been the glue that has held our body together and led us through times high and low. This is no small event for me as an individual, as his teaching has been a constant stream of grace since my sophomore year of high school. That's right, he's been there for high school graduations, my eventual wife's conversion & baptism, college graduations, a wedding ceremony, dozens of rounds of (mediocre) golf and a few ski trips. Safe to say, this is a huge deal.

There will be an appropriate time for me to "Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith" (Hebrews 13:7). But today, I write a rallying cry for a crying church.


Second Timothy 2:8-10 says this: "Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel, for which I am suffering, bound with chains as a criminal. But the word of God is not bound! Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory."

Briefly, Paul writes from prion ("chains") to a young pastor, Timothy. He assures him with utmost confidence that even though he in his leadership is chained physically, the word of God is not chained. There are circumstances that limit Paul physically, emotionally, and geographically. But he proclaims confidence to Timothy: no matter my physical circumstances, Timothy, God's Word is unchained, unbound, and unstoppable.

I wish I wrote with the same confidence of Paul this morning. I'll try to get there. And I'm not so much writing for my church body as I am for myself. "Ryan, you (and possibly your church) may feel very bound at this moment. You may feel chained emotionally and spiritually. You may feel that the future is chained. But rest assured that God's Word- the same message that your pastor taught you to love- is unchained. Your ministry and growth as an individual and as a church is tied to this word. No imprisonment, no ailment, no pastoral transition can chain this.

If you're reading this, I don't know what your situation is. If you're connected to my burdened church, rally around the banner that God's Word and the ministry thereof moves forward unchained, even as we limp and mourn! And help me to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great message sandwiched between some seriously sad news. I'm sorry to hear Stick is moving on, but perhaps God will raise up one of you to preach the Unchained Gospel alongside that Pankaj dude :P

    ReplyDelete