Monday, August 17, 2009

Wisdom from the dead Buddha


This morning, I read an inglorious little quote from Buddha on the side of my 'Good Earth' tea bag. The Buddhster says, in some of his last words (before he died and was buried and stayed dead like the rest of mankind- that was for free!) according to tradition, "Doubt everything. Find your own light." Um, forgive me, Mr. Buddha, for perhaps taking your words too literally, but if I am supposed to 'doubt everything,' as you claim, should I not then doubt my ability to 'find my own light'? I'm just saying....

The sad reality that truly brings me great sadness is that many who bite the glittering lure of this self-glorifying advice soon see the "Light of the world." And Buddha would surely acknowledge now, that Jesus' glory and worth is what we should not doubt.

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen!! Great picture of Buddha there. Looks like he's been eating the donuts his worshipers sacrifice to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is kelley..... lol that was pretty funny about buddha eating those donuts. some buddhas are skinny and some are fat. i dont get it. but that was very insightful ryan. if we should doubt everything...then we should definitely doubt buddha too then right?

    ReplyDelete