Saturday, February 4, 2012

David didn't get paid to write the Psalms

I have shelves (and boxes) full of great books. Many of them have been encouraging in times of need, pointing me to God, and his gracious character. However, I have turned to none of them in times of spiritual, emotional, and physical needs as frequently as I have returned to the beloved Psalms. They encourage, inspire, comfort, and edify more consistently and powerfully than any other words I have read.

Recently, during another foray through the Psalms, I was trying to put myself in the shoes of David (author of ~50% of the Psalms). Where was he while he was writing? What was he looking at? Was it day? Was it night? How long did it take him to write? Did he edit or rewrite any of the Psalms? How old was he during these various Psalms? Somewhere in that train of thought, I realized that David, a shepherd first, and then later a King, put hours and hours into writing the Psalms...and never got paid a dime for it! His profession was a shepherd over his family's flocks, and later a King and military leader of Israel. The Psalms that we read and love are entirely a product of passion, something done in David's downtime on the job or in his free-time at home. And I wonder if he knew the impact his words would have on millions?

Now, this is not a condemnation of those who write as their profession. Many books to me have been worth their weight in gold. But David's example convicts me in this way. What am I pouring myself into wholeheartedly, simply out of passion and love for God? What do I do in my free-time that ministers to others powerfully? Do I pour myself into my personal prayer life via songs, poems, journals, blogs, tweets with the same fervor David did?

When we think about it, David had a lot in common with you and me. He had a job (that likely was more physically taxing and smelly), he had responsibilities in his family, and he likely was fatigued as a result. Yet imagine if David had spent his free-time on himself rather than pouring himself passionately into the Psalms. The loss would be tremendous. Let's use our free time in prayer, ministry, and love for God and others as intently as David did.

1 comment:

  1. I like thinking about this. He was being who he really is before God, relating with God, coming to Him just as He was...love that. Also he didn't get comments, likes, or pluses!!
    But he brought his whole self before God and is an example for us to do likewise.
    Neat!

    ReplyDelete