Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sarcasm Seasoned Speech


"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt..." Colossians 4:6

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

You know the really convicting part about the above verses? It's the fact that both speak about how our speech should exclusively be. How often is my speech to be gracious? Colossians 4:6 answers "always." How much corrupting talk should exit my mouth? Ephesians 4:29 indicates "none", and that "only" edifying speech should be present. Those are tough commands, right there, and such commands apply today to our spoken, written, and typed communication.

What concerns me most when I analyze the way that I talk and communicate is that it appears that sarcasm, not gracious, edifying speech, is often the type of speech that "always" or "only" leaves my mouth. In other words, sarcasm is my default way of talking or communicating; to speak in a sincere, edifying, and gracious way, I often have to "reprogram" myself and go against my default. Moreover, in most instances sarcasm and gracious speech are mutually exclusive! Meaning, if I'm being sarcastic, there's no way that I'm also being gracious! Maybe you can relate?

Sarcastic speech is likely grown in many different soils. Maybe sarcasm is a shield to hide behind, and I'm sarcastic because I'm afraid to be found out. Maybe sarcasm is the path of least resistance, and I'm sarcastic because sincerity is hard, and seriousness often mocked in our culture. Maybe sarcasm is a stage to arrogantly display my wittiness, and I'm sarcastic because jocularity gets more laughs and attention than encouragement.

I'm not saying that gracious speech should be easy to come by; nor am I saying that there is no place for humor or sarcasm. But we are in a dangerous spot when our springs naturally flow sarcastic waters rather than grace-giving waters. If you are part of Sarcastics Anonymous like myself (I am the chairman), make it a point each day to speak graciously, to respond sincerely, and to think about what's edifying (not just what's funny) before you speak, write, or type.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. Sometimes I worship "being funny" or witty too, when those syllables I crafted so cleverly could have been intended to bless instead of trying to orchestrate yet another laugh. So important in dealing with our loved ones! I heard a speaker once who was also a comedian, and he said there's just no room for sarcasm in relationships, that it can just take over your home and is destructive to your family. God shows you good stuff. Thanks for sharing; I learn!

    ReplyDelete